March 27, 2011

iPad2 First Impressions

I am composing this blog with a brand new iPad2 using my new Bluetooth keyboard from Apple. Well, it's not actually my iPad...it's my step daughter's. It arrived this week and I have been playing with it almost every day since. The good news is my iPad2, which was scheduled to ship April 1st, shipped Friday! That's right, it shipped a week early! The journey for my new iPad2 began in China and it is now in Hong Kong. If it follows the same route as my step-daughter's, it will sit in Hong Kong for 3-4 days before coming to the U.S. by way of Alaska. I should be composing a post next weekend with my own iPad2. For now, I can blog about my first impressions of the iPad2 I confiscated from my step-daughter.

Case Design
My first thought was...it IS noticeably lighter and thinner, but I don't think it is necessarily easier to hold. I have been using it in my classroom, in the lunch room, on the playground, in bed with morning coffee, in the car (as a passenger of course), at the ball field, and at basketball practices...only to find I handle this one the same way I handle the original iPad. They are both easy to hold, extremely portable, and easy to use. I would take an iPad 1 or 2 over a 6 lb. laptop any day. And yes...I remember when that 15" 6 lb. laptop was a dream compared to my previous 14" 9 lb. laptop from 1995!

Speed
Is the new iPad so much faster that it justifies an upgrade? After doing side-by-side comparisons, the difference IS evident. Once my own iPad2 arrives, the apps are installed, and I begin using it daily I will blog about those comparisons.

Smart Cover
I am NOT impressed with the smart cover! It frequently falls off if I am not holding it just right. I almost dropped the iPad because the cover came off as I was walking down the hall while reading an article. I am not sure how I was holding it, but I had to "think fast" before it smashed on the floor. No, the cover was not made to pick up or hold the iPad with but I am thinking about 4th graders handling equipment in my classroom.  Even when it is not in my backpack just right, the cover pops off. When it is not held just right, the cover pops off. The only thing the cover provides is screen protection when not in use and the "coolness factor" of the iPad going to sleep when covered and waking up as the cover opens. Smart covers will not be ordered for my classroom or personal iPad. The "portfolio style" case I currently use and screen protectors with some other kind of case or cover for the classroom iPads will be the best bet.

Cameras
Last night I took pictures and video during my daughter's basketball game. The still images lacked the quality one might expect from Apple devices. They remind me of images the first cell phone cameras produced, grainy and off color. The video was better than expected. From the top row of bleachers the detail of the action on the court was quite good. The 1½ min HD video ended up being 28 meg. Even with poor still image quality; iPad2 cameras will be excellent for 4th grade projects.

Conclusion
Overall, I am pleased with the iPad2. Are the new case design, speed, and cameras worth the money to upgrade? I think so…the case is not the deal maker, but the speed and cameras are. I use my iPad all day in every area of my life. I'm an iPad teacher, iPad mom, iPad wife, iPad homework helper, iPad this and iPad that. I am able to analyze test scores with the other 4th grade teachers in the cafeteria during lunch, reward students with “math app time” on the playground during recess (yes, students choose math skill practice over playing chase), refer to the school calendar during grade level planning meetings, take notes during faculty meetings, work on lesson plans while monitoring basketball practice, search for math apps while watching baseball practice, and I could go on and on and on and on and on... If you are considering an upgrade, will the speed and cameras make a difference for you? I already have a project in the works to use Face Time with the manager of our local UPS center to show my 4th graders the importance of math in every job at UPS and we will do the same with other local businesses. Again, I could go on and on and on and on listing the benefits of this technology in a classroom (and I will in future blogs). For any teacher that has not yet purchased an iPad…I say, “Go for it!” You will not be disappointed. Continue reading blogs like this one for ideas and app reviews and in no time you will blog about how the iPad has become an indispensible tool in your classroom.

On another note...I love this new Bluetooth keyboard! I should not have waited so long to get one. It is great for typing stuff that is too long for the hunt and peck method used with the on screen keyboard or handwriting notes app. This keyboard is small, light, and portable. It took 30 seconds to pair with the iPad and I was typing up a storm! Now, I need to find a cool case to carry the keyboard...preferably one that matches my iPad case!

3 comments:

  1. I have the wireless keyboard/dock for my iPad 1. Love to hear if you find a case that can handle the iPad and keyboard. Or one for the keyboard.... Happy iPad 2ing! signed Jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this case yesterday...http://trendydigital.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=131

    The pictures are not good, but it sounds promising. I am going to hold out a little longer. Let me know if you find the perfect case for the keyboard and iPad and I will let you know if I find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the cover! I desperately need a real case for my iPad2 - my boss has contacted some manufacturers and asked for samples so I am waiting to see what arrives. We've ordered 150 iPads for next year (all 1st gen I believe tho) so she's been asking manuafacturers for samples. The case that's $40 from Apple they were prepared to let her have for $30 something, but she went direct to the manufacturer and with an order of 150+ they brought the price down to $20 something!! Worth knowing if your district is making a bulk purchase!

    ReplyDelete