April 4, 2011

Sharing Our Favorite Apps


Brainpop recently invited educators to share their favorite apps so they could be loaded on devices used in the Brainpop sponsored “Mobile Device Sandbox” at the Mobile Learning Experience Conference this week in Arizona. Participants will get to play with the newest mobile devices loaded with the all the apps reccommended.

I will follow up with more detailed review of apps used by myself and my students. Until then, here is a copy of my reply with our favorite apps…


My class’s 2 new favorites

Symmetry Shuffle and Sums Stacker by Daren Carstens
These apps are awesome! The visuals are fun and engaging, the games challenge the students to think beyond just knowledge and comprehension and require them to evaluate and analyze symmetrical Symmetry Shuffle shapes and transformations in and different ways to find sums in Sums Stacker. My students heart Daren Carstens and his creative, mathematical mind! We are writing him a letter to thank him and ask him to continue making great apps that make learning fun and challenging. I challenge you to play these apps and not get hooked…especially Symmetry Shuffle.

Our Other Favorites

Math Adventures – You are given numbers and you have to find where the number belongs on a blank 100’s chart. The first round it is a normal 100’s chart, then you have to look for patterns to figure out where the number is because after the first few rounds the chart might be ordered from right to left, bottom to top, etc.

Motion Math – Students work to identify where fractions, decimals, percents, and fraction models belong on a number line. They are addicted to this game…it is so hard to put it down once you get started…even I can’t stop because I want to see how high I can go.

Family Favorites

My pre-school age nieces and nephews love iWriteWords. For the last year they have been regularly playing this “game.” They trace the letter shown, say the letter, and then turn the iPad to make the letter drop into the hole at the bottom. They can practice upper and lower case letters, numbers, and words.

There are many, many more, but there is not enough room or time to write them all here!

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting. ! I read your post on brainpop. I would love to know how you use your apps in a classroom setting. I'd like to know about your hardware, student management for apPs and the devices and what about active boards? Can a device eb connected to an active board or projector? Maybe you can write about those things one day
    MWPowell
    Roswell, Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely write a blog addressing all those issues. Those are the same questions I had not to long ago. Briefly...I have an iPad 1 and an iPad 2 with 3 more iPads to be delivered very soon. I have an active board and up till now use a document camera to display my iPad screen to the students. I just got the HDMI adapter to connect the iPad 2 to my projector, but I have not tried it yet...I'll post as soon as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU! I downloaded Symmetry Shuffle and Sums Stacker on your recommendation and was not disappointed :-)

    ReplyDelete